Friday, July 31, 2009

Nancy Drew

I loved this article from the New York Times about the continuing influence of Nancy Drew.

"Nancy Drew was invoked last week during the Senate confirmation hearings for Judge Sonia Sotomayor. She has said that her Nancy Drew represented boldness and intelligence, the books a gift from a hardworking single parent. In recent years, Laura Bush, Hillary Rodham Clinton, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Gayle King and Diane Sawyer have described themselves as fans."
Nancy had a big influence on me as well. I grew up reading all the old Nancy Drew books, and loved reading about such a fearless, smart heroine. Yes, I loved her sleuthing, but I also loved her style: classic, preppy, all-American, and okay, maybe a little prim. My image of her is in a little sweater set and pencil skirt, with a scarf in her hair as she drives her little blue roadster around River Heights. What would Nancy wear in 2009? I'm thinking Marc by Marc Jacobs, 3.1 Phillip Lim, and of course Tory Burch.

No comments: