Monday, May 19, 2008

Weekend Shopping Report


I went to Houston this weekend, and met up with my dad at the Galleria. It made me miss the Galleria in a big way--when I lived in Houston, I went there all the time, and that selection is pretty unbeatable. Anyway, I have the best dad in the world and everytime he sees me, he wants to buy me something (this is only one reason why he's the best dad in the world!). So we immediately set out to look for something for me.
Now, it is a time-tested rule of shopping that as soon as you have the opportunity to buy something, you will not be able to find anything that you want to buy. This kind of happened to me this weekend--I choked. We went to all my standard favorite stores, but I just didn't find anything I loved. And my new shopping rule for myself is don't buy anything you don't love. I also didn't want to pick out some crazily expensive thing for my dad to buy me. I found some gorgeous shoes in Cole Haan, but they were sooo expensive, so I passed on them. Then we went to Nordstrom and I found a cute Marc by Marc Jacobs top, but I think my dad was kind of shocked at the price (which, to be honest, he probably should have been, it was a tshirt for over $150--kind of ridiculous). He said I could get it, but I didn't want him to buy something he didn't think was worth the money. It was getting late. My husband called and was circling the Galleria to pick me up. I was getting desperate. I called a shopping hail mary and dragged my dad into Saks Fifth Avenue.
Normally, I don't even bother going into Saks. I love to look in there, but most things are too expensive for my budget. But in the hope of finding a sale, I made a last ditch effort. We made a beeline to the one area of Saks that I can (sort of) afford. Sure enough--HUGE SALE! I found two shirts by Theory and one Juicy Couture shirt that I loved! All majorly on sale. I settled on the Theory shirt above but I got it in black, on sale almost 50% off. I love it, it's so comfy and cute, and I can wear it to work or on weekends. I was happy, and my dad was happy that he got to buy me something that he felt was worth the money.
Moral of the story: Don't be intimidated by high end stores. Hit the sales racks and you may get lucky!

No comments: