Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Return of the Jumpsuit (Ugh)


Dark days are upon us, people. The jumpsuit is back for fall, as evidenced by the runway creations above from Alexander Wang, Jeremy Laing, and Yigal Azrouel (photo from http://www.nymag.com/), and by articles in pretty much every fashion magazine I've picked up lately. This is a look that I'm pretty sure does not look good on anybody. The last time I wore a jumpsuit, I was in 2nd grade, and I'm really not sure I pulled it off back then. I'm not even trying this time around. Why?? Why can't you just wear two pieces? Is it that much more convenient to wear one extremely ill-fitting, unattractive garment?
This only fuels my suspicion that designers get together each season at a secret compound and discuss what crazy get-ups they can get the public to wear this time around. I feel much the same way as when I read that skinny jeans were making a comeback. I shuddered, but then immediately comforted myself with the thought that no one would wear them given how completely unflattering they are on everyone but 18 year old Hollywood starlets and models. Oh, how I underestimated the influence of 18 year old Hollywood starlets and models. I can't wait to see what happens this fall. If they can get American women into jumpsuits, their takeover of popular culture will be complete.

No comments: