Monday, September 14, 2009

Kari and Jocelyn Discuss: Louboutins and shopping at high-end department stores



And now, time for a new blog feature, in which I basically post email conversations between me and my friend Jocelyn. The other day, she sent me a picture of these gorgeous Louboutin shoes, and the conversation began.

Joc: You would not believe how close I was to buying one of the above two pairs of shoes. It was scary Kari. Really scary.

Me: Louboutin--that is terrifying. They are both gorgeous, so I completely understand the terror you almost brought upon yourself. There is something about that red sole...

J: EXACTLY. I can totally pick those out on any celebrity. I just really love that oversized boxy toe they have. I also am obsessed with just the classic black platforms. I will say one thing - those suckers are TALL. I must be 5'10" in them. I loved it. I probably would have cried if I actually bought them.

K: YES! I am obsessed with platform pumps right now. I can't believe you even tried those on, I would be so afraid that I would love them. You are very strong, Joc.

J: I did try them on - and tacky style too. I took off my Reef flipflop in the middle of saks and took the shoe off the shelf and got right in. I felt so trashy...I was not dressed appropriate for Saks. I had on a $16.99 TJ Maxx dress and flip flops. Shameful. But really then you feel kinda like Julia Roberts in pretty woman and you feel like you have to prove that you can afford this stuff when, typically, you cannot. Its depressing.

K: I feel that way everytime I go in Neiman's or Saks and am looking at high end stuff. Feel it is obvious that I cannot afford anything I am looking at, but at same time, feel the need to project that I could buy whatever I want, which makes me shuffle around uncomfortably, making it very obvious I cannot afford anything I am looking at. Vicious circle.

J: It is terrible. I pick things up, look at prices, and think to myself - good god, are you serious?! And I want to drop the item instantly in case there is a fee to even pick up said object. But I must disguise my face as - Oh thats not bad. Maybe I should get one in each color.

Hate the fact that you have to dress up to go into certain stores for fear they will shun you. That is another reason I love Nordstrom--they are nice to me no matter what!

No comments: