Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Best makeup ever


I'm pretty much obsessed with bareMinerals makeup. I always wear full makeup--foundation, powder, the works. So I was very skeptical when my friend was raving about bareMinerals, which always seemed to me to be some sort of glorified powder. But she insisted that it had great coverage and lasted all day. I decided I had to try it.

I bought the Starter Kit from Ulta for $60. That's pricey, but it does come with a lot of stuff:

-three brushes (an overall face brush, another face brush that provides a little heavier coverage, and a concealer brush)
-two foundations, each a slightly different shade
-one "Mineral Veil", which is kind of an overall finishing powder
-two all-over face colors: "Warmth", which is kind of like a bronzer, and "glow", which is a soft rose color

It also comes with a dvd showing you how to put all this stuff on, which is helpful, because I admit I was a little overwhelmed by it all when I opened the box. After a few tries, I had it down though, and now I absolutely love it. I guess it's ground up minerals, in sort of a powdery form. It's very natural looking, it really blends into your skin well and doesn't leave any foundation lines. It feels really lightweight, and it amazingly lasts all day, even through work-outs. I got talked into buying the "PhotoFinish" foundation primer from Smashbox, which is $36 at Ulta, so that might be part of the secret to making it last all day.

Supposedly you can use the foundation as a concealer also, just by using the concealer brush. Personally, I still use a cream concealer under my eyes, just for extra coverage. And I don't really use the warm or glow powders. Even so, I think it's a really good deal-- the brushes alone would cost more than $60 if you bought them individually.

The sets come in light, medium and tan, and each set comes with two slightly different foundation shades. I bought the light, and I can wear either of the colors that came with my set, one is slightly more golden than the other and maybe a little darker.

I highly recommend this make up and I think the starter kit is a great way to try it out. You can get it at http://www.ulta.com/ .


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. I was skeptical at first about this product, but once I tried it I loved it. It's great how such a little amount goes a long way, and if you need more coverage you can just continue to layer it. I also us it with the Smashbox Photofinish for longer wear.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I bought the starter kit last weekend and there was a woman at Ulta who color-matched my skin and also applied the makeup for me. I also bought BareMinerals "Prime Time" which is their foundation primer (instead of Smashbox). I have to admit, I'm not yet completely wowed with this makeup. I keep forgetting to add the mineral veil, and once I actually used the mineral viel instead of the foundation, by accident. Also, my skin is breaking out a bit. I wonder if it is the primer?