Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I'm back!

Sorry readers, I have been away on vacation but am back now and ready to blog about fashion once again!

While on vacation with a group of friends, my girlfriends and I started talking about fashion's golden era: the 1980's. We were recalling fondly the days of "tight-rolling" our jeans--the process of taking our jeans (which were already probably somewhat tapered), folding the hem over and rolling them up to our lower calves, making the jeans both too short and as narrow as possible at the bottom. It was possibly the most unflattering look imaginable. Of course, this was usually coupled with two pairs of slouch socks in neon colors on each foot, and a different colored converse sneaker on each foot.

As a joke, one of my girlfriends tight rolled her jeans as we walked to the nearby train station. She got quite a few looks, including one from a construction worker who I'm pretty sure was pitying her apparent lack of fashion sense. I have a picture, but out of respect for our friendship, will not post it.

On the flight home, I was paging through the July issue of Vogue when I came across a picture of a model with tight-rolled jeans. I kid you not. Now she was wearing heels instead of slouch socks and converse, but the effect was no less unflattering and disturbing. In fact, I think going all out old school with the look would have been better, in an ironic-commentary-on-the-80's sort of way, instead of a sad attempt to resurrect a trend that should remain buried for all time.

Personally, I will fight the tight-rolling of jeans until my last breath. You have my word on that.

2 comments:

blair said...

I rocked that look (please note, this is not permission to post the picture) – but I did, I rocked it. Any looks I got were those of awe at my ability to look so fashionable…I think people thought I was a celebrity, just taking my dog out for a little walk…

Jenny said...

This post is worthless without pics.